Wednesday, September 11, 2019



The International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) is a United States-based non-profit organization incorporated in 1988 by founders David Crawford, a professional astronomer, and Tim Hunter, a physician/amateur astronomer. The mission of the IDA is "to preserve and protect the night time environment and our heritage of dark skies through quality outdoor lighting."[1]
Wikipedia





STAR FALL

I live in an International Dark Sky Community
Outdoor lights stay off in order that we may see stars
Twinkling their messages like shouts of brightness
But 
There is no translator for their flashing lights
So I watch them in awe 
Ignorant like everyone else
Knowing I'm made of star dust
Wondering if I admire or envy their beautiful wisdom
Hoping at least one star will fall
Crash upon me
Teach me its star language
So I too can enlighten the dark







(Today Sumana asks us to write about stars at Poets United.)

13 comments:

  1. Wow. That would be an awesome school of knowledge--if we could survive the impact. This speaker has an enviable relationship to the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofino has a dark skies policy too. Once on one of the small islands with no light at all other than a campfire, I saw a sky more full of stars than I could ever imagine........so beautiful! So mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have virtually no groundlights in the vicinity up here on Telfer Hill. Most clear nights are very starry.
    Loved this poem, esp the crashing star language teacher. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we did live in a dark sky area. Early morning (like now) in the hours before sunrise are my best chance to see and marvel at the beauty.
    Love your piece. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blinking almost in morse code. With wisdom to illuminate the darkness. How we all could shine. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too would love to live in this community. An awesome write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I worked in country South Australia may years ago and with no street light or any other light for that matter the night sky was glorious, inspiring even.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish to live in a place where there's no light pollution! "enlighten the dark"--So love this. A beauty of a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place to live in - I love the magic you find in the stars

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delight to read – and what a great community to live in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish, we could also see such magical sky here. City lights outshine nearly every star in the night sky over Us. Sigh!
    Beautiful poem..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the image of learning the language of stars!

    ReplyDelete