Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Glorious Memories




For about six years, I cared for my mother and mother-in-law in my home before I no longer could,  before they went to a nursing home where they died. I called them the ladies, my ladies, not because of any biased gender designation, but because they were royalty.  They were the good queens that ruled my life.  Their needs commanded.  

They also displayed their royal crowns through their raw, unfiltered emotions and behaviors.  For example my mother, a very traditional, religious lady, once shed compassionate tears for a troubled, transsexual person on a TV talk show. The kindness in her heart was pure, not clouded by judgmental dogma. My mother-in-law engaged in hours of prayerful meditation daily. She prayed to ease world suffering, while she was oblivious to her own. Examples of their goodness are plentiful.

They both believed in heaven.  I'm convinced they found their way.  I hope somehow they can see how much they taught me, how much I miss them, how grateful I am to bask in their glory.


Storm clouds dissipate
Sun's light rays slowly appear
Glorious brilliance





(For Poets United where Sumana prompts us to write about "glory".)

13 comments:

  1. What a privilege to have been their caretaker, Myrna. They sound so lovely. I love that you bask in their glory. And I am sure, to your grandchildren, you are all of that to them, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates! I cared for mother until the doctor recommended a skilled nursing care facility. My mother had Alzheimers but she never forgot her Lord and to pray for others

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is truly Haibunilicious. My hat's off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lines are beautiful and so well matched to what preceded them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much we can learn from our older relatives. We should always remember that. Beautifully written Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hats off to you for being their caregiver and writing this beautiful tribute.. so rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May their prayers be answered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The words of this haibun are so gentle and caring. Style is the man. Thanks Myrna for this beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully, beautifully written - and lived, by you and by the Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful tribute to these special ladies You have a lovely family and how lucky they were to have you, and you them.Beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a touching background and beautiful haiku

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does the "ladies" a great honor, and to you for taking care of them. Beautiful haibun.

    ReplyDelete