Sunday, August 25, 2019


Photo Credit - Rachel Giese Brown
Mary Jane Oliver (September 10, 1935 – January 17, 2019) was an American poet who won the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.[1] In 2007 The New York Times described her as "far and away, this country's best-selling poet."
(Wikipedia)
*

 I like sitting in a book store drinking coffee and reading poetry. Often I read and reread Mary Oliver, whose poetry teaches me about life, nature and its flow .  When I read her, I feel as if  we are best friends.  She died recently and I hope to honor her with my poem.




DRINKING COFFEE WITH MARY OLIVER

I take little sips.
Black, potent elixir opens my mind
Like an opening stage curtain
Slowly revealing
Her wise yet simple words.
"I prefer tea." she says,
"It's more like sweet 'n bitter truth.
Coffee just tries to wake us up.
As much as you drink, have you awakened?"
I look down, shrug. 
My silence grows so loud
She can hear my thoughts
About the darkness dimming earth -
Evil growing like the roots of weeds.
"It sounds like you're living a nightmare.
In death we have no dreams, no choices.
Trust me, living is better.
If it's dark, light a fire that enlightens. 
Your heart will love the heat."
Abruptly, she's gone.
I'm left alone
With all my questions. 


17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute - and a thought provoking poem. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... but the questions are what's precious, never the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your heart will love the heat."

    great back and forth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem so much! I adore Mary Oliver and love her voice in this poem. Especially love "If it's dark, light a fire that enlightens." Love the title. Love the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful poem. The voice in this is both strong and gentle, full of wonder and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have honoured Mary Oliver well. I somehow think she would like it that she left us pondering questions, great explorer that she was. This is beautiful, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE … LOVE … LOVE IT, MYRNA. Needless to say, I love Mary Oliver, too ~ smiles ~ But really, for me, this is up there on that very lofty pinnacle with some of your very best work. It's all about the tone you've struck here … and you've struck it so beautifully … perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautfiul poem this is. Being inspired is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How superbly you have conveyed your admiration. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She definitely passed all too soon. I have Mary Oliver's book "Devotions" which is a collection of poems from all of her books. I love her poems too and for a while read one of them each morning with coffee. Let me tell you - this poem of yours really resonated with me.Yes, she left us too abruptly, but then I think this always is the way it feels when someone leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful, Myrna. I felt like I was sitting very close to you and Mary, as you had this conversation... I could see the expressions on your faces and everything. And when the goes, I feel her absence just as deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so great! She would have loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a stunning poem, Myrna!💖 Mary Oliver would have loved it!😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this poetic interlude. I love the coffee opening the mind like a stage curtain, the question on awakening and Mary's wise advice that you have given yourself in reality and with her help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful. It has a flavour of her, yet is uniquely you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Myrna, you are such a marvelous writer/poet!! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love what this poem says about writers and their words that leave strong imprints on us. You really conveyed a wonderful feel of intimacy with her words, and the sense of loss once they were silenced.

    ReplyDelete