Sunday, April 28, 2019


I've written about this peach tree before.  It was here when we moved to our house 20 years ago.  Didn't think it would survive in the desert, yet it still stands.  It no longer produces peaches, at least not edible ones, and it's lost most of its branches.  But, somehow I feel (imagine) that it exudes joy by simply living.  I'm inspired by it.




MY OLD, WISE PEACH TREE

Each year I think, "It's time for you to go."
But what do I know of time, or death?
The peach tree knows mostly about living.
It clings to earth as it reaches to the sky, 
Grateful for one more year of blossoms, 
One more year to serve the birds
As they perch on its branches to sing.
If a tree could smile, this tree would.
If a tree could wink, the peach tree would.
Because I love a good teacher,
I hug it.


(For Poets United.)

14 comments:

  1. This is a lovely sentiment... it simply wants to live I think, I wonder if it even knows anything about death

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The peach tree knows mostly about living." I love that. It is likely loved by birds, and it is to be honoured for surviving in the desert. I adore this poem! Love its smile, and wink. Love the hug, and am sure it does, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was blessed with the chance to stand in front of this old soul, I would hug it too. I can see it smiling when the birds sing, winking at you when you hug it... And that branch, the one raised above the chapped up limb, that branch screams of triumph to me... and of, "Come on, I have a place for you to sing" to the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for tenacity. And survivors. And hugs from those who recognise both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a beautiful idea, Myrna. The peach tree is really an inspiration. It may not be as young and vibrant as it once was, but it continues on. Even at the end of its life it has value. It is indeed a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me tear up. It's a lovely poem and hooray for the peach tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah as a tree lover myself I love the sentiment of your poem. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suspect the peach tree knows even more than you think it does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers! I loved this poem so much, I read it aloud to my husband. The close is I-wish-I'd-written-that-awesome. Up there with some of your finest work, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very beautiful poem. It has so many layers and is very subtle. It celebrates the joy of life...existence in itself. I really admire your peach tree and its strength to carry on. What a deep message you have given us through this poem! 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a gorgeous looking tree, Myrna!❤️ The peach tree must be smiling right now at this ode! Beautifully penned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tree reminds me of me. When someone meets me after decades they always are surprised that I am still alive ( and slightly pissed off as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a cherry tree right on the property line between my house and the neighbor's that I've been worried over for years. Each spring it blooms magnificently. I am grateful for every petal filled year I've had with it.

    ReplyDelete