Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Painted Blossoms

Almond Blossoms by Vincent Van Gogh






Dear Artist,
I stare at your work, trying to decipher your reason.
Why did you paint lives so unlike yours?
Did you see yourself in baby flowers?
A tender creation, giving its essence to the wind?
Beauty born to wither, to die 
Learning the art of suffering
While responding to humanity's higher hunger?

I wonder if you questioned your own reason,
Or did you let it float on air like a petal
Doing only what it knows to do -
To Be without understanding.
Did you obey that unknown force that compels 
Artists to create an imitation of nature,
Or was your reason less abstract?
Simply, you painted blossoms as a gift.
I'll never know
But I thank you.


(For Poets United.)  



12 comments:

  1. Love the contemplation and wondering at a masterpiece. Beautifully put Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of him paintings blossoms as a gift, and your "thank you". I hope that, while he painted, he felt some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I thank you for gifting me with a concept I had never considered. Why do artist's choose a particular subject indeed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great questions! I would like to walk with Vincent through his paintings and find this blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my research of Almond Blossom, its symbolism is renewal and hope. Van Gogh thus thought it a fitting gift to his brother who asked him to be his baby's god father whom he named after the artist

    luv the interest the artist sparked in your poem

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he saw the world through a much different lens, finding beauty in the madness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely letter to the artist – whom we all thank. And I thank you too, for saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is a lovely write... like a sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you wrote a letter too:) A much nicer one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful reflections Absolutely love "Or did you let it float on air like a petal" I can see and feel the floating petal

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Vincent's sight interpreted all what he saw quite differently to us but allowed us to feel and accept that his world was different from others eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In letter form, this becomes so personal. I love the intimacy of your questions.

    ReplyDelete