Sunday, November 22, 2020

 








A QUAIL MEDITATION

 

Most evenings as the sun descends

The sky becomes a flame

As if trying to wave goodbye to the day

I always feel a tinge of sadness

As I witness the passing of time

When night gradually suffuses the light –

A tiny death preparing me for inevitable endings

 

Most evenings before the sun descends

I watch a parade of noisy quail march behind my house

Their pretty colors barely visible in greyness of earth

They seek their simple goal of slumber in safe shelter

Unaware of their beauty, or the gift they bestow

On the watcher who forgets about death or sorrow

Or the greyness that envelopes earth

Time becomes that moment when the quail seek to sleep

While the watcher awakens





For Poetsandstorytellers.blogspot.com.

16 comments:

  1. This is the third piece today, which reminds me how important it is to cherish the seemingly small things. As the poem suggests, death and sorrow seem to be claiming too much of the world. The only way for us to survive, even thrive, is to continue to notice the good things we still have... to keep celebrating those gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy watching quail in my neighborhood as they meander thru my yard on their evening walks .... I wonder where they hide during our winters? I enjoyed this .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This, like so many of your poems, is very beautiful and speaks loudly to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen quail since I was a child on the farm. I wonder where they hide out now, since all the fencerows are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful. I love the California (Valley) quail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have captured that tinge of universal sadness at sunset...beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of my late wife being an avid birdwatcher ( with me in tow) and the delight in finding quails in the wild and as we sitting down cared not that we were close to them as they searched for food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to see a family of quail at eventide.....so sweet! Lovely how they live their lives blissfully unaware of what a mess humans have made of the world. I hope they have sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reversal of roles for cawing quail and watchers is quite interesting
    Thanks for dropping by my blog Myrna

    Much🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a procession. You transported me there. I feel sad when the day ends too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping these inevitable endings would be just like slumber for us. Not messy, nor chaotic. Beautiful words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May the quails escape the watchful eyes of those who would do them harm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful. I feel very peaceful at dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete