Sunday, January 12, 2020

WABI-SABI


In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"
(Wikipedia).






Everyday I go outside to greet the day,  breathe, experience peace.

This morning, my focus was on bushes along the wall.  They were green, speckled with red blooms in summer.  But now, in January winter, they are merely grey organic skeletons. I wondered if they died or are simply enjoying a pause from living because growing is not easy. They need winter, the way I need sleep.

Despite their slumber or deadness, they stood erect, as if happy to simply be in whatever form.  My thoughts, as thoughts always do, drifted. I considered my own creaking, aching bones that will someday be a remnant of me.  But, for now, they shape my flesh and move.  A moment of gratitude.

Then, thoughts of Wabi Sabi came to me. In the past, I found it difficult to understand how to appreciate the imperfect, the impermanent, the incomplete. But now, I had a deep connection to these twiggy bushes. I saw them as pretty, radiant, an adornment of life that cast lovely shadows. Their existence, in many ways, reflects my own. I sprout from the same source.  I too am imperfect, impermanent. Though 'aging' may at times appear to be a dormant stage, it is not. I can still dance my dance while I give, learn, laugh, love, live. There is beauty in this.  I am incomplete... but I am.




For Poets and Storytellers United.


20 comments:

  1. Interesting insights about growing old...
    Nature around has a lot to teach us. Thank you for the lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waba sabi a really wonderful concept including a kind of gratefulnes for things as they should be too

    Happy Sunday Myrna. Happy 2020

    Much❤✏❤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I drove my son to work this morning (in a fresh cover of slippery snow) I began to grouse about the possible danger ... then really looked at the awesome beauty around me and backtracked in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the phrase "growing is not easy." I tend to look at bare branches as if they were writing the season just passed on the sky or wall and this is a beautiful expression of a quiet but active season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beauty of the bushes waiting... maybe it's the knowledge that they will bloom in spring, or maybe it's just that their geometry touches me... love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly beautiful. I really like the concept of wabi-sabi and have learned (too slowly) that there is always beauty about for those with open eyes, hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to quote the same bit C. Sandlin shared. It is a wonderfully true phrase, one most of us has felt in the bones--I love seeing it here.

    This is going on my favorite by you list. There is so much power and beauty in knowing that we are a wonder--missing bits and all. It's the only way to stand as prettily as bare branches in winter, the only way to know that even when we look gray (and sort of dead-ish) we still hold spring inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful an illustration of these truths...sprouting from the same source and no stage is dormant, not even aging or dying. A bolstering read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent observation. I understood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So we dive deep into wabi-sabi aesthetics in my tea lessons a lot. And I love, love, love how you've embraced it in this piece. There's so much beauty in a live well lived, in knowing when to rest so when it's time to dance we dance with abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Myrna, this is deeply philosophical and touched me to the core!💝 I love and resonate with; "enjoying a pause from living because growing is not easy. They need winter, the way I need sleep."💝

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing is permanent and sometimes imperfect is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wise and beautiful words... celebrate the imperfection and the impermanence..life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the aging folk hangout. I call those drying foliage "zombie plants" and "zombie trees."
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful reflections. I see this as a prose poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful conclusion - and the imagery really swept me along

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the image of he bushes resting--sleeping during winter--and how we all need to rest

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this, Myrna. I can totally relate to the similarities in a sleeping winter bush and ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I am incomplete... but I am." Oh, what an affirmation. I used to no appreciate the beauty of plants that have surrendered to winter. Now, they are some of my favorite things to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful wisdom here Myrna and your words fill me with peace. Thank you for your beautiful write.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete