Wednesday, July 10, 2019

THE STORM


Weather is the day-to-day state of the atmosphere in a region and its short-term (minutes to weeks) variations, whereas climate is defined as statistical weather information that describes the variation of weather at a given place for a specified interval. They are both used interchangeably sometimes but differ in terms of the length of time they measure and what trends affect them.
source





               THE STORM

Last night from my window I watched
Rocks of rain pelted my house
Wind blew an empty bucket
Way into the desert
The sky was electrocuted
Creating a fiery boisterous darkness
No doubt climate is changing
As this strange weather 
Repeats repeats repeats
Like my thoughts 
Passing through again again again
Creating pathways of habits
That enslave me

From my inner window I watch
Knowing that change is inevitable
Knowing climate is affected by human choices
Knowing that I can change
Knowing that the climate and I 
Don't have much time left
To weather storms



  

(For Poets United.)


17 comments:

  1. The close is so true and poignant. I love the identification. Each one of us needs that inner window open. Beautiful, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much time left, indeed! I wonder when we humans will get serious about changing our actions before we've changed the climate so much that Earth can no longer sustain itself or us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredibly evocative, Myrna. I like the contrast between the inner and outer weather conditions .. you portray the human psyche so well!💞

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about that and, given the leaders currently in power, one loses hope we will do what is needed in time. I imagine myself at your window, looking out at your mountains, watching the weather. Today we are FINALLY geting some very welcome rain here. I am thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. But yesterday where they are working on road construction on the highest cliffs out of here, there was a landslide that closed the only road all day. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv the window metaphor, we do need to be watchful of changing times and siuations

    Have a nice Wednesday Myrna

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly it is our own faults as we keep on electing governments that don't care and we ourselves enjoy life while trashing the planet. So many of us just "Live for the day" thinking tomorrow can look after itself...we are wrong of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fear time is running out and I wonder when will we wake up to the thunderous roar of the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the proclamation: "I can change". This is hope. Thank you, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "From my inner window I watch" Love that and yes a sad thruth but an optimistic I can change

    ReplyDelete
  11. Change is inevitable, true this. We can only hope for a good one by changing our behaviour, if we are going to weather the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As this strange weather
    Repeats repeats repeats
    Like my thoughts ... timely and strong! I think it's too late now.. can't imagine what terrible weather events lie ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You’ve captured some great details in this poem, Myrna: the wind blowing an empty bucket into the desert and the electrocuted sky. The repetition is effective.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time is running out sure enough! But what is being done in between. Those in the business of running the government are happy governing but not really serious of facing up to the impending disaster

    Hank

    ReplyDelete