Sunday, January 27, 2019

HALF A CENTURY


A picture from my wedding album.
Celebrated our anniversary a couple of weeks ago.




Dear Husband,
I wrote you a poem about the lessons of fifty years.
It was about love, its mystery, paradox,
How hard it is to flow with it, how it teaches
About kindness but also its lack.
I wrote about how love can live then die
Then live again. I even mentioned lust.

I'm not giving you that poem.  
It was true but academic, anemic, artificial
Like plastic flowers with no scent.
Instead, I'll give you this one.
It's real.

I really love you.
You are the poetry in my life.

Simple words can be enough.
After all these years, I know
That you already know.




(For Poets United.)


16 comments:

  1. Oh... yes it's the simple words that tells the most... and even more the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WONDERFUL, Myrna!I hope he smiled. Congrats on fifty years, no small achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely poem for the one you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your Golden Anniversary - and the work you both put in to reach it.
    And yes, those simple words say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an honest love poem, Myrna. ‘Simple words can be enough’ - I love it. Congratulations on fifty years together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Simple words often convey the depth of feeling MUCH more than academic expressions and/or flowery words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will You Marry Me? : )
    That is a wonderful Anniversary Card.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a romantic at heart, your poem strikes a lovely chord
    Happy anniversary to you and yours🍾🍷

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought a lump to my throat. Fifty years of love is impossible to perfectly express and yet … you did that here - so beautifully - in this somewhat 'je ne sais quoi' contemplative piece. Your reasons for not giving a poem that falls short of articulating your love for your husband: SAYS IT ALL. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so sweet! I can't even!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple words will do it everytime...so true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's lovely! Yes, marriage can be the greatest adventure and journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this!💞 Congratulations on your Golden Anniversary!!😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tribute to your husband and the 50 years you’ve been married. Yes, the simple words are best.

    ReplyDelete