Sunday, July 19, 2020





ROCKET MAN

I once saw a play about a man's
discontent at being in this world.
He sought an alternate universe,
which he found in dreamlike state
within his mind,
then in chosen death.

Afterwards, friends and I analyzed,
like Jung and Freud dissecting a patient.
What made the man decide to leave?
What was hidden in his disdain for life?
Was it work? Was it his wife?
Was he not afraid that in death
He might still be chased by fear -
A hellish game of cat and mouse?

Is sadness a weed that grows thick
with no cultivation?
Can it entwine itself around sight,
obscuring all light, defying
gravity of love that pulls
in opposite direction?
It was interesting
to hypothesize, to intellectualize 
suicide
But death is so much more
Than interesting.

Today, as I write, my memory jolts
to ghosts of those I knew, who left
because they felt they had no choice.
Their potential was strangled by despair.
Like my young cousin, still grieved
By us, who love him still
Wondering why, like a Rocket Man
He left, to find another world.
Does he still feel despair
Unparalleled in any universe?


"Now, I think it's gonna be a long long time
And I think it's gonna be a long long time
And I think it's gonna be a long long time
And I think it's gonna be a long long time"

(Lyrics from "Rocket Man" by Elton John.)


The play I saw was "Rocket Man" by Steven Dietz.


For The Sunday Muse.  This is an old poem I've edited for today's picture prompt.

9 comments:

  1. So powerful. I am dealing with my youngest daughter's despair and where we find ourselves in this pandemic world. I am glad she is living with us. I would so fear her being alone now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very sad, Myrna. I feel for people who feel that have no other choice. I think this time we are living in now amplifies mental health issues. Hope is so sparse these days. Thanks for visiting my blog, Myrna, and nice seeing you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking.
    I can only hope (fervently) that those who thought that death was the way to end their pain were right, while knowing that the pain that they sought to leave remains with those of us who remember them - and mourn.
    Elsewhere this morning I saw the phrase
    Grief breaks us
    And remakes us.

    The remade person bears scars. Forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suicide is one of the hardest things to cope with for those left behind. The best way I have heard it put is that the person's pain exceeds their ability to cope with that pain.

    FYI, your link was broken. You had put "htmll" at the end instead of "html". I have fixed it for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, so sad those who give up on life and leave before giving it a chance to be better....they leave so much sadness behind for those who love them. I hope their pain eases, but they leave so much of it behind. I am so sorry about your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much sadness in this world. This grabbed my heart Myrna. Thought provoking and poignant. I am so glad you joined us at the Muse! 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful exploration of the sense of "lost in space" in the photo. Deep working of your image and connecting that to your own and someone elses humanity. The ending is perfect: "Does he still feel despair
    Unparalleled in any universe?" Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Is sadness a weed that grows thick
    with no cultivation?
    Can it entwine itself around sight,
    obscuring all light, defying
    gravity of love that pulls
    in opposite direction?"

    Wow! This is quite a thought-provoking poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poem is deep, heartbreaking and well done.

    ReplyDelete