Sunday, August 11, 2019







THE BIG HUG

I squeezed her 
Knowing 
Words were useless
Against life's unfair wallop

I can't strike back
No matter my tantrum
Like a toddler's rage
At a parent's tough, wise discipline

Life - the best teacher/parent
Allows the agony
Of experiential learning
With each small or huge detachment

I've lived so many lessons
Yet I cling to what I want
My hug was tight and long
She left



*


My only child and I are extremely close.  Last year she survived a life threatening condition which  left her with some disabilities.  Her husband has been asking for a compassionate transfer from his work because he has family in Florida who could help care for my daughter and be present within minutes in case of an emergency.  Though I have attempted to move closer to them, it's never been possible. I've been 6 hours away from their  home in Arizona and have traveled as quickly as possible whenever I've been needed. But, it does take time to get there. 

Recently, my son-in-law's transfer was approved.  They moved.  Because I'm more sensitive and sentimental than most, I've been heart broken.  Rationally, I accept the benefit of  them having family around that can assist immediately if needed.  Yet, emotionally it's hard to accept that my daughter is now so far away.  My visits will be less frequent, more expensive.  I miss her terribly and I need I mention how I miss my grandchildren.

I am able to speak and even see her on the phone.  I am so grateful. Yet, the awareness of the actual distance between us makes me so sad.  



For Poets United.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Myrna, how very sad. You have always been the one to rush to her side and care for the household. I cant even imagine that last hug. Thinking of you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching poem. Full of love for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is the best parent/teacher. I love that phrase! great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad for you Myrna.Life is the pits sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings and lots of hugs Myrna. Happy Sunday

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life really knows how to split us open. I hope whatever lesson you find brings some unexpected, cherished resolution. Your love is so evident. Yours is a fortunate daughter. Sending wishes of love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This touches me deeply, Myrna. Love and prayers always 💖

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring are flowing your way. And to your precious daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but they never explain how much that fondness costs, how much pain it rips out of our hearts. I'm glad you daughter and SIL are getting extra help, but *sigh* I'm sorry you can't hug her as often as you wish. Some lessons are just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel you anguish and deep love for your daughter. I hope the road provides a way to see her more. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Myrna. The poem is a piece that anyone who has ever nurtured a child to adulthood, would be moved by. I loved the sketch … so tenderly rendered. And the backstory brought a lump to my throat. I, too, have only one daughter. That mother/daughter bond is so special … an everlasting truth in two lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. So real and true. That's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so sad & touching. you can see and speak to her on the phone but nothing beats the touch of contact, of hugging and the holding of hands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart aches for you. It's hard when doing right by the ones you love hurts so damn much. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to go back and read the poem again so it had more meaning.

    ReplyDelete