Friday, July 31, 2020


Off a hiking trail, in the mountains near Taos, New Mexico.
My favorite place in the world.







               A BLESSING

Every time I call my 91 year old aunt
I ask for the blessing
"May God bless you, take care of you"
Tradition requires these words
Younger person requests
Elder gives rote response
Ritual of my culture
A simple repetition
Stemming from a sacred mystery
Of love entwined in the intangible

For a more solemn intentional blessing
I visit my hidden nature chapel
Away from the myriad of obligations
Imposed by this "civilized" world
I sit on a fallen tree
Amidst its leaves of fertile green
Listening to an inner hush
Created by the stream's rush
Down the mountain of serenity
Delving into vacuous silence
Absorbing its graceful giving
Expanding my awareness of all
That is living

I visit this place to seek
Blessings given freely
By this world's lush grandiosity
This small space to me -
A symbol
Of nature's grand cathedral
Available without ritual or pomposity
To all who seek
To find peace within chaos
Love without promises
Blessings without words


I didn't make it to respond to Brian's prompt on Monday.  But I did want to write about my special place.

For Earthwheel.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you always have a place in the world, in your head, in your heart which provides that solace and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful, Myrna, and my heart is happy that you live in your beloved Taos, beneath Taos Mountain. When one lives in a beloved landscape, that is an essential happiness that is our bedrock, no matter what. A truly beautiful poem. Thanks for linking at earthweal. I love the blessing asked and given. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. I loved your description of being in nature. It made me feel calm just reading. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand this, Myrna, even though I don’t take part in organised religion or any of the rituals, words can be the key to a special place that we feel inside, it doesn’t have to be anywhere in particular. The comfort of a fallen tree, green leaves, streams and mountains, is what I turn to every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trees create sacred spaces - and so many human sacred spaces emulate forests. This poem is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful sanctuary in which to receive life's blessings. And a wonderful human ritual too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's the simple things that matter most ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying again in the hopes that this comment goes through. Thank you so much for sharing this place - in your usual lyrical thought provoking way.

    ReplyDelete