Monday, May 25, 2020







Sherry at Earthwheel challenges us to write a protest poem.  I couldn't come up with a good protest, but my thoughts are constantly protesting the insanity that plagues us, not to mention - the virus. So, though not exactly a poem that fits any form, I just wrote some of my thoughts.






RANDOM THOUGHTS DURING A PANDEMIC


I'm against so many things nowadays.
Sometimes it's hard to remember
What I'm for.

It is odd during a plague
How some believe death only applies
To others.

Some believe a virus is not contagious.
The ostrich assumes if you can't see it,
It can't see you.

Each morning I attempt to connect
With the part of nature that is beauty.
Being, growing without a cause.

Are polarities essential?
Yin Yang, complementing opposites.
But I must pick a side.

Mother Nature must be a good role model.
She exudes beauty, peace, life.
But also has volcanoes that erupt in flames.

My anger flares. I protest against
Ignorance, selfishness, cruelty, injustice!
I've been all of these things.

The world is in chaos. I protest!!!
Will humanity ever grow up?
Will my children?

I once read a book about evil.
The author believed in its existence.
Now I do too.

I've read many books about goodness.
It exists. It is precious. It is free.
We must let it live.

I'd like to make a banner of success:
"Love has won!!!"
I love to dream.


(Written for Earthwheel.)

10 comments:

  1. 'You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one…'
    I so hope your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, I love this poem, and am so pleased you joined us at earthweal. I used to resist the word evil. Until these last few years. I see dead eyes and hearts that exhibit no shred of humanity and now I know evil exists. I love to dream too, and hope one day that love will win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really relate to this. Sometimes it's hard even to look at what's happening in the world. I could be angry all the time, but I can't keep that up indefinitely, and I don't want to be that person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's an unerring habit extremists have -- they tend to point elsewhere at their worst faults. Call it They Who Smelt It Dealt It disorder. It's like those ostriches, hiding only from themselves. How do we live well and good amid such evil? Dreaming helps -- thanks for bringing this to earthweal - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I specially love the Mother Earth stanza so apt for the theme today & of course the success mantra uttered in the end. So lovely to read your lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful -so looking forward to making that banner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for those random thoughts during a pandemic, Myrna! Without them we wouldn’t have much to write about. I agree with your opening lines, I feel the same way, and I ‘attempt to connect / With the part of nature that is beauty’. But the flare of anger you write about is in me too, sick of ‘Ignorance, selfishness, cruelty, injustice’. I look forward to the day that we all carry that ‘Love has won’ banner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so easy to become paralyzed in this world with so much that seems so wrong. Your feelings are shared by many of us.

    ReplyDelete