Wednesday, November 28, 2018

MY BRAIN'S MORNING DEW




"Get up!" I tell the morning.
"Take the covers off the sun!"
Then as if my dogs hear my thoughts
They rise to noisily tap dance their paws 
On my wooden floors
Because they know how to celebrate the morn.
I yawn, shake away the dew from my brain
Though a fog still remains.
Until at last, I awaken into my living slumber
Where instead of going outside to wish 
My mountains, the birds and the rabbits well,
Or wave to neighbors as their life draws on,
Or breathe as if I knew the mystic's way,
Then write a poem to the dawn
About the splendid beauty in you, me, the world -
Like a recurring dream, 
I drink my coffee, feed the dogs,
Then proceed
To perform the dictates of my ways,
Assuming that tomorrow
will be another day.







11 comments:

  1. Tomorrow will be another day — the ritual of waking up is so personal and individualistic too. I like the way you invoke the morning and give us a glimpse into this setting, this morning greeting, here. And thence, we carry on with our performance of the day. Well penned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Assuming that tomorrow/will be another day."
    I am guilty as the speaker in your poem, too. Putting off things for the next, and the next morning as if I'm promised eternity.

    This is an important reminder to seize the day. Thank you, Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! Remind me! The beauty is there, from tap dance to outdoors, if only we didn't put off this most important moment for "more" important things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the assumption on which your morning poem ends--so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that waking still tired so well, Myrna.........I, too, who used to wake my kids up at six a.m. singing the morning in, now stagger to the tea kettle. LOL. However, as you say, the morning arrives without our help, and tomorrow there will be another. I LOVE the sound of doggy paws dancing across the floor. I so miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! All these single people talking to themselves each morning (me included). I must say however that for me today is where I concentrate my mind; one thing at a time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we keep putting off the simple and wanted as we dive into the demands of another day... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, that tapping music on wooden floor surely does a world of good. Specially love "Then write a poem to the dawn". It's a gift given to a handful only. A most beautiful way to celebrate morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah the elusive morrow. Ever grateful for the reality of todays.

    Much🔷️☺🔷️love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the idea of dogs being able to sense our thoughts and I think they do .. somehow these lovable creatures can feel us and our emotions ❤️ Such a beautiful and serene poem, Myrna 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those last two lines packed quite a punch for me.

    ReplyDelete