Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SAFIYA

When I met her she needed a ride. Not that she would have asked for it. The nurse asked on her behalf. Her daughter had a migraine and couldn't pick her up. Of course I drove her.

Though she didn't speak much she did share a little about herself. She sighed when she said she had no family here except a daughter who attends university and a husband who was gravely ill at the nursing home. All her days for the last few months have been spent at his side from morning 'til night.

She wore a huge shawl that exposed only her face, her hands and her long skirt. I wore shorts and a tee shirt. Our attire symbolized our different worlds. Yet, when we parted our hug transcended words. I sensed her despair. We connected.

The next time I saw her few words were exchanged again. I felt her grief. Her husband had just died. We hugged once more.

"Is there anything I can do? I asked.
"Please, just pray for me," she replied.

And I do.



I don't know her name, but I've named her Safiya. It means: untroubled, serene, pure, best friend.

13 comments:

  1. i hope that she finds that peace...the lives we intersect with matter...as your gentle touches an continued prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will carry each other in out hearts, Sister!


    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral

    (*)>
    / )
    /"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Such a tender story. Praying for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we shall also pray for her.

    Myrna, glad to have met a kind and tender soul as you.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a big heart myrna, great you connected to her..it's good to build bridges..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This heart breaks hearing her story... glad you were there for her, to share in a difficult moment. Will keep you both in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Myrna,
    Such a tender story and I love the name "Safiya".
    Sometimes a simple smile, a touch or a hug can say much more than any words.

    You are a kind and gentle spirit, Myrna. Wish there were more like you in this unjust world.

    Lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that name! This is so beautiful and I know that you gave that dear woman solace. Very sad but very exquisite at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're such a fabulous woman, Myrna! And you not only can write beautifully, but you can also draw! Multi-talented! (I can only draw stick-people!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a loving thing you were able to do for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I already comment once that I think angels come in many forms and I think you are one of them? Very touching story...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish there were more beautiful souls like you, Myrna. Did you know that Safiya means 'sincere friend' in Arabic.

    ReplyDelete