Friday, May 21, 2010

Hope

"Our personal consumer choices have ecological, social and spiritual consequences. It is time to re-examine some of our deeply held notions that underlie our lifestyles."
David Suzuki




What a world! Its beauty is breathtaking, its abundance mind boggling, its diversity unimaginable. From what we know of our home planet, it is also strong and resilient. I am trying to remain upbeat and hopeful in order to combat the heaviness in my heart over the recent oil spill in the gulf coast. But I am compelled to allow and express my true feelings. I am furious, enraged and heartbroken. I feel helpless and more convinced that the world as we know it is coming to an end. I suspect Mother Earth shares my fury.
Not unlike the politicians and the oil industry, my immediate impulse is to blame. That's a pretty easy thing to do. But since I know better, in spite of the magnitude of this disaster, I must look inward and painfully inquire - how/where is this in me; how am I responsible; how can I change?
What I perceive is a reflection of who I am. So, I must admit that on several levels this calamity resides within. I can make analogies about the oil and my blood, the industry and my greed, politics and my ego. But what I see strongest is the analogy of the oil to my emotions. The Mother is crying. Her black tears beg for mercy, for compassion and for discipline. She...and I are so sad.
Blame? There's little to be gained from it. However, I must reconsider my responsibility in this game of oil and demand. I have always liked my cars. I enjoy the convenience of easy, quick transportation. I am one in millions, who cannot fathom a world without cars. Yet, if without cars, the planet can thrive, it may be time to start imagining the possibility.
I think the best thing to focus on in my inner journey is change. It's normal to resist change. I already recycle, I give a little to environmental conservation groups. What more can I do? My plea is merely a human defense. I know I can do more. I must begin with awareness, not only of the damage I do by my insistence on convenience, but also of my attitude. How defeatist are my thoughts?
Hope is about envisioning and wanting something. There is power in hope and I dream that we can all change our image of this world and thereby change the world. I hope we can all envision our earth planet as a place where we joyfully share responsibly for maintaining our home, where the Mother proudly nurtures her children as they enjoy and manage the One coop.






No comments:

Post a Comment