Monday, June 15, 2020

Sherry at Earthweel has asked us to write a song for the earth.  I didn't write a song and I hope that's ok.  But I am so grateful for this prompt because it  provided a respite from grieving about what is happening on earth now.  Writing helped me perceive a glimpse of my trust that all will be well with the earth.  Perhaps that's all that matters.







A LOVE SONG FOR MOTHER EARTH


Someone I knew and loved used to say
"If you can't sing well, at least sing loud."
Good advice as long as I don't sing alone
Unity of voices seems to break through sound barriers
Enough to conceal the notes of those who cannot carry one
Like me
But I do sing a love song to Mother Earth
Because I know a good mother accepts 
Whatever a child can give
Because giving is really a gift for the giver
For the receiver it can be as slight as a breath
There is an art to 'give and take'

Though intention should suffice
I let others, naturally gifted, sing my love 
In a beauty only they can create
While I in giving, only take
From the sweet tweet of rambunctious birds
From the scent of shocking red roses 
The whimper of my dogs in slumber
The noise within the silence of my desire
To offer music to a Mother who knows
About pain but has heard An Ode To Joy
Through  my love song which is so loud
Though sung through proxy
By a symphony comprised of 
A beautiful motley crowd 










8 comments:

  1. I love the closing lines - we are a motley crew and we can't all sing in tune but our intent is there, I agree. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, I love this so much. I know Mother Earth appreciates your humble, loving heart. Taos Mountain feels your love, as do your wonderful dogs. I love most (and am, as are you) a mother who has known pain but also heard an Ode to Joy. I am so glad you wrote this love poem for Mother Earth. She needs every one of us right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly beautiful.
    And how I wish I could sing it, with you, and all the rest of the motley crew. An evergrowing motley crew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "..But I do sing a love song to Mother Earth
    Because I know a good mother accepts
    Whatever a child can give..."

    Lovely and full of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely turned from silence to joy! "Because giving is really a gift for the giver
    For the receiver it can be as slight as a breath
    There is an art to 'give and take'"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening is such an important component of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is best to sing as if no one is listening. Sing with a humble heart and the sound will be beautiful just like your song of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the thought that the ‘Unity of voices seems to break through sound barriers / Enough to conceal the notes of those who cannot carry one’ and the beautiful image of ‘a symphony comprised of / A beautiful motley crowd’.

    ReplyDelete