Wednesday, August 21, 2019


source
Academia Gallery, Florence, Italy

WHEN I WAS 22 
I VISITED
DAVID

Mouth agape, eyes like marbles
Frozen in time I stared
Struck by silent still solemnity of beauty
As he gazed uncaring into ethos
Unthinking unaware of creativity's flow
The way I was ignorant 
Of creativity's power to explode 
The unknown within me
A bomb causing my every atom to expand
Into inexplicable mushroom cloud
Awakening something just as mysterious
Perhaps that's one purpose of art
To wake us up
To help us focus on what's already been created
To help us imitate appreciate preserve it
I've never visited David again
But I have a similar experience
Whenever I admire the beauty of a tree


















13 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE equating the feelings of seeing David being like seeing - really seeing - a tree. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, creations should leave us in wonderment
    Happy Wednesday Myrna

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! "Struck by silent still solemnity of beauty"
    An amazing line! And even more so when it is the creativity in him meeting/waking the creativity in you. Such moments change us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Struck by silent still solemnity"...Yessssssss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am endlessly grateful for artists (whatever their genre). And you are most definitely one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did see the statue many years ago in Florence. The large right hand is quite noticeable. You are right trees are good as well and better than a statue as they whisper to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time I saw David up close and personal, I wrote a poem too. Your poem is so real to me, Myrna, I'm back there. I love the line:
    'Struck by silent still solemnity of beauty'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Creation, the Impact and the Awakening so amazingly captivated by you, Myrna. Love the tree photo so aptly describes the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transforming experience and I love how you end up with the magic of the tree

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting intimate, and allowing yourself to form an attachment to something is a major event for the mind. I think this is all a normal part of life...”Awakening”- yep, mind is always driven by a passionate interest in the subject.
    Wonderful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The art in Florence is amazing but the older I get the more I am impressed by nature Living in an ancient continent with extinct millions of ears old volcanoes and dinosaur bones is more my thing .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Florence is wonderful but as I age I prefer the magnificence of nature.I would like to see the Uffizi again but I probably wont.

    ReplyDelete