Wednesday, June 6, 2018

RUNNING





I ran into my little cousin, Tony, as I rushed back home from the hairdresser who'd done my hair just the way I wanted. Bouncy, gentle curls danced to the pace of my quick walk.

"I'll race you down the block." Tony singsonged the words repeatedly as I laughed. I couldn't believe he was serious. Did he not know I was a grown up, already graduated from college, already travelled in Europe, already employed, already a teacher. He obviously didn't care.  He was a mere child, unable to discern the inappropriateness of his request.  But like most children who want to play, he was relentless.  "Oh, OK." I gave in to his challenge, partially because I knew he would harass me the entire way home, but also because he sparked that little flame within me that, even now, tells me I'm still young.

On your mark, get set, go!

I ran as if my life depended on it. No matter that my hair got tousled, like I would be from that day forward - bouncing up and down, unravelling a bit, then rounding up again into a smooth curl. Then repeat. It was fun.  I won! Incredulous, my little cousin wanted to race again.  I was tempted, but I'd run out of time.  I had to get ready for my wedding at 3 pm.

Seasons run like time
Racing through life's ebb and flow
As sun rises and falls



(For Poets United.0

11 comments:

  1. Wow. Didn't expect that event at the end of the race. But i'm glad you were started your new phase a winner💞

    Much♥️love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Love. This. Poem. Wow. The scene is so vivid, the message comes into my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely.
    We all need to let our inner child run free - preferably in the company of kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story in this poem - hair all set for a wedding, but time for one fast little race. Totally cool! The seasons do go just that fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to smile one last run, before the marathon begins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredibly beautiful poem; this really is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh loved the twist of curl and tale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a lovely, joyous yet poignant piece – the final farewell to childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god! How I love the end! Beautiful Myrna.

    ReplyDelete