Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Summer


source



I remember my summers 
When I sweltered happily
Dancing in sunny party of my youth
Enjoying the sun as its beating rays
Invited me to play 
Challenging my Icarus within to fly
High into the burning sky 
I remember how I flew in hot tailspins
As the fire singed but didn't melt my skin
I fell then soared again 
Pursuing my dreams
My whims of flames
While the sun beat
Not ever wanting my defeat
Merely wanting to disturb
To bother like an annoying big brother
Teasing me summer after summer



(For Poets United.)











12 comments:

  1. Great write. Luv the memories shared

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful thoughts of summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have evoked so many happy summer memories... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. L love the idea of the sun as a big brother (not THE Big Brother), love the images you use for that "can do" attitude and action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your summer! Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the speaker in the poem compares herself to Icarus. It's a wonderful metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This takes me back to the sweltering summers of my youth.........and all those dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer dreams of youth...carefree and taking risks. Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To bother like an annoying big brother
    Teasing me summer after summer

    Summers must have been lots of fun for teens everywhere, Myrna. It sure left pleasant memories!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big brothers are a pest aren't they and no better example than the Sun itself, sometimes hot and angry, or teasing hiding behind clouds whe you want him to appear! What a lovely poem Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The icarus within...great thought to ponder over!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer after summer. Did the Icarus within fly? (Great term, by the way)

    ReplyDelete